WIND ME UP – 5 (ish) Things that wind me up! Podcast#15
Having worked in the technical communication market now for over 20 years. I have seen a number or traits, habits, actions and behaviours that I have to say really wind me up. They wind me up to the point of wanting to poke someone in the eye.
Episode #15 – I am going to talk about my top 5 items, well actually top 7, that wind me up:
What winds me up?
- One Way – those that say and believe that there is simply one way to do one thing! I know where these people come from, I know why they say it – but I will tell you why it winds me up and therfore you will understand where my sense of frustration comes from
- Fire & Forget – this totally grips me, organisations that Fire and Forget, and I am coming at this from a sales perspective, treating a client like they are simply a revenue target and a number, the moment that a sale is made, there is no sign of the person that sold it! Let me tell you more!
- NAY SAYERS – In the same ilk as my first gripe, those that just close their minds to a discussion about an alternative approach to solving a business problem – I give you a genuine example of where I was involved in a meeting and this happened! How did we handle it and where does the egg on face lay now?
- Traditional ‘Thinkers’ – I get so fed-up with those that think traditional technical publications when working with new information production approaches – this is just silly and I tell you why! I may even digress a little and talk about the demographic that I see in the technical publications organisations
- “That’ll do” – anyone who knows me, I am an A Type personality, something that is a bit of a chain around my neck, something that I am trying to control, but anyone who says “That’ll do” drives me bananas! I can’t and won’t accept a “That’ll do” to anything around something as vital as technical publications and support information
WTF are you Asking for?
- WTF are you asking for? I get asked all of the time to help decipher contract requirements, because often they are conflicted, make zero sense and are clearly written by someone who does not have the first clue WTF they are asking for. Again I draw a comparison, albeit slightly left field, of my recent trip to the dentist!
- Complicators – you know who you are! Those people that like to keep things complex, I am involved in multiple discussions where there is a deliberate effort, by some, to keep things in hieroglyphics – why not keep it simple, explain things in a way that is easy to digest and work together to a resolution?
There are of course many others things that make me want to poke someone in the eye, maybe I will do a follow up on this podcast with some more!
Access this PODCAST:
- Listen Now on our PODCAST Channel or go to your favourite podcast software and search “TDW PODCAST”
- Create your FREE account and watch the recording of this episode – Create FREE account
Want more from TDW?
- Why not join us as a full member? Access more like this as well as watch our annual conference live to your dashboard – Learn More
What winds you up?
Send us your thoughts and comments on what winds you up, do you agree or disagree with Mike on these 5 (ish) things?